The Best Diaper Bag For New Moms
This post is all about the best diaper bag
Note: Affiliate links may be used in this post. I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you if you use my affiliate link. Full disclosure policy here.
As a new mom you might not be used to lugging around a bag full of your baby’s essentials. When I was single and had no baby, the only thing I would carry with me wherever I went was a small shoulder bag, big enough to fit my wallet and maybe one lipstick. Suffice to say, those days are long gone.
Nowadays, before leaving the house I would have to check my diaper bag to see if I have all of baby’s essentials. I use a checklist to make sure I have absolutely everything I need before heading out the door. There’s nothing worse than enjoying my time out with my husband and baby only to find out that I don’t have diapers to change my baby’s soiled diapers!
If you are a new mom, you are probably wondering what the best diaper bag out there is. Maybe you are overwhelmed by all the choices, so let me help you figure out what the best diaper bag is based on your goals and lifestyle!
- Best stylish diaper bag
- The Best multi-functional diaper bag
- Best small (essential) diaper bag
- The Best Diaper Bag With Changing Station Bassinet
- Best waterproof diaper bag
- Frequently asked questions:
Best stylish diaper bag
If you’re looking for the most stylish diaper bag that you can continue to use after baby needs a diaper bag, then this is the best choice for you. I personally have this diaper bag and there are just so many things to love about this bag.
Lulibebe’s Monaco Diaper bag has these awesome features:
- The bag is large: can fit so many things that baby and mom might need
- It can convert from a backpack to a side sling bag
- Vegan leather makes it durable but environmentally friendly
- There are many pockets inside and outside the bag for you to organize your baby’s items
- Includes diaper changing mat!
- Doesn’t look like a diaper bag: can be used as a regular bag!
Although I love my Lulibebe diaper bag, one thing that I don’t like about it too much is that it doesn’t come with an organizational insert so things can get lost at the bottom of the bag. You can purchase packing cubes for your bag to make things easier. This one is my favourite.
Related post: Do diaper bags get dirty?
The Best multi-functional diaper bag
This is the best multifunctional diaper bag! It’s highly rated and it’s easy to see why. This backpack has all the thing you would need in a diaper bag, such as:
- packing cube to stay organized
- Pacifier and bottle holder
- Changing pad
- The bag is lightweight and the material of the bag makes it easy to wipe down and clean
- It has a lot of pockets! Mamas I know we can’t have enough pockets and this one satisfies that need!
- Stroller straps so you can attach it to your stroller for easy access
There’s really not much negative to say about this Skip Hop diaper bag except that it would be nice to see it in a few different colors. The only colors available so far is black, pink or grey.
Best small (essential) diaper bag
Small diaper bags aren’t for everyone, especially if you happen to have twins or two small children close in age. But this mini diaper bag is perfect for those times when you need to go out really quickly and don’t necessarily want to bring out your big diaper bag.
What I love about this bag:
- there are two compartments to keep your items separate.
- Wipes pocket makes it easy to wipe down your baby during diaper changes or during messy meal times!
- You can wear it as a cross body or shoulder bag and no one will know it’s a diaper bag!
- You can use it as a packing cube if you decide to whip out your full size diaper bag
- Even though it’s compact, it has a matching changing pad included!
The Best Diaper Bag With Changing Station Bassinet
If you are in the market for a diaper bag with a changing station bassinet then this is the bag to get! It’s well loved and highly rated due to its durability and quality.
The changing station bassinet is so useful if you need to change your baby where there’s no family room/changing table.
Honestly though I think this is only really useful if you are going to a park with no washrooms or travelling somewhere where you don’t know the conditions. Most places nowadays have a diaper changing station which I find easier to use with your changing pad than open up a bag to lay baby out.
Of course that’s my personal opinion! If you still want to use a bag like this, then this is definitely the best option. Let me tell you why:
- Large bag holds absolutely everything you would need for baby
- The changing bassinet can also be used as a ‘crib’ for baby to sleep in while travelling
- Made of waterproof material which makes it easy to clean
- Plenty of pockets for all the thing you need for baby – also super easy to organize your items with all the pockets available!
- Front pocket is insulated which is great to keep bottle temperatures hot or cold
Best waterproof diaper bag
This diaper bag is well loved by moms everywhere and it’s easy to see why! It looks simple and unassuming on the outside but it is full of features that all moms would need while out with their babies. Here’s why so many people love this Ruvalino diaper bag:
- main compartment has 6 pockets for organization
- Front pocket has insulated bottle pockets – perfect for storing water bottles for your formula!
- There’s a separate compartment for diapers for easy access
The only thing I would say about this bag is that it does look a bit plain and not very stylish. But if you are looking for function above anything else, then this is the bag for you.
Related post: Are diaper bags worth it?
Frequently asked questions:
How do I choose a diaper bag?
Choose a diaper bag based on your lifestyle and needs. You will constantly be reaching for your diaper bag once your baby comes, so you should make sure to think about all the things you might want in a diaper bag. No matter what diaper bag you decide to go with, one of the most important things to look for is durability, enough space for all the baby clothes, diapers and diaper rash cream that you need. Also make sure to look for a diaper bag that has a changing pad included.
Apart from that, other things that will help you decide which diaper bag to get are:
- Whether you are going to be formula or breast feeding
- Do you need a large bag or would you rather fit everything in a small bag?
- Want a changing pad or changing bassinet?
- Do you want a bag that’s stylish, or a durable, functional bag?
How long do you use diaper bags?
Typically diapers are a necessity until your baby is potty trained, around 24 months or 2 years old. Diaper bags are less necessary after this time, but as is noted in this article, once you live the diaper bag life, it’s pretty difficult to go back!
Do I need a diaper bag?
If you are expecing a baby, then yes you would definitely need a diaper bag for your baby, especially if you are going to be going out with your baby.
How big should a baby bag be?
For everyday use, your diaper bag should be roughly the size of a regular backpack, or bigger. Your backpack should be big enough to fit all the items in our diaper bag checklist.
How much does a baby bag cost?
A diaper bag costs anywhere from 50$ to upwards of $200. If you are extra boujie, you can even use an Hermes as a diaper bag, ala Kim Kardashian.
What goes in a diaper bag for a newborn?
These are the items that you should put in your diaper bag for a newborn:
- Diaper rash cream
- Changing pad
- Baby wipes
- 2 sets of onesies
- 3 bibs
- 2 sets of toys
- Hand sanitizer
If formula feeding, you should also include baby bottles, boiled water and pre-measured formula. If you are breastfeeding, you may want to stash a nursing cover in your bag.
You can grab a copy of my printable diaper bag checklist here!
Can I use a regular bag as a diaper bag?
Yes you can definitely use a regular bag as a diaper bag. If you are going to use a regular bag as your diaper bag, make sure to use a bag that has all these things:
- Large enough to fit all baby’s essential items
- Lots of pockets for added organizational capabilities
- Fits under stroller
This post was all about the best diaper bag for new moms.
We hope you found this helpful! If so, show us some love in the comments below!
Other Posts You Might Like:
When should I stop carrying a diaper bag?
Do both parents need a diaper bag?
Are diaper bags worth it?